Tax Relief Scams: Spotting & Avoiding an IRS Tax Debt Relief Scam
Need a Tax Pro?
As consumers continue to struggle with mounting tax debts, and the IRS steps up enforcement of tax debts, some unscrupulous tax relief agencies increasingly are taking advantage of unsuspecting tax debtors looking for assistance with their tax debts. If you need help dealing with your tax debt and choose to enlist the assistance of a tax relief agency, make sure that you choose your agency wisely, and guard against tax relief scams that may end up costing you even more.
The following are some common characteristics of tax relief agencies that might be scams.
- Requires Full Payment From You Upfront – An unsavory tax relief agency often will require you to pay the entire fee upfront before the agency begins work on your case. This type of agency may ask you for credit card or bank account information before asking you anything else about your case. Asking for full payment of the agency’s fees upfront is a red flag that may indicate an IRS tax relief scam.
- Guarantees You Relief No Matter What Your Situation – Every person facing tax debts has a unique situation. While tax relief agencies may be able to help you in some circumstances, there are other situations where they will be unable to help you. It is also highly unlikely that you will end up repaying only a small amount of a large tax debt that you owe (be very weary if they promise an offer in compromise settlement). Do not believe a tax relief agency that promises you relief no matter what your situation.
- Accepts All Tax Relief Cases – Tax relief agencies that take on the cases of all taxpayers seeking help are likely simply trying to make money. As mentioned above, no tax relief agency can provide real assistance in every case. Any tax relief agency that promises to do so is not being truthful with you.
- Offers You a 30-Day Money Back Guarantee – Again, no tax relief agency can provide a taxpayer with relief in every set of circumstances. Any agency that offers you such a guarantee is probably not legitimate.
- Makes All the Decisions For You – Any good tax relief agency should thoroughly analyze your case and explain all of your options. The ultimate decision as to how to handle your tax debt should be made by you, not by a tax relief agency, so that you are totally aware of all risks and consequences of the decision that you are making.
- Offers You a Fee that May Increase Throughout Your Case – Reputable tax relief agencies typically charge you a set flat fee that does not change throughout your case. Tax relief scams often charge you a low initial fee, only to require additional fees as your case requires further action or lasts for a longer period of time.
- Exhibits Bad Ratings or Comments by Consumers – The Better Business Bureau often will list legitimate, successful tax relief agencies as having high ratings. Likewise, agencies who operate scams or otherwise illegitimate tax relief agencies will not have high ratings with companies like the Better Business Bureau or online resources that list consumer reviews of tax relief agencies.
- Contacts You Through a Cold Call – Legitimate tax relief agencies do not contact random taxpayers in order to solicit their business. Rather, those agencies wait to directly hear from taxpayers who need help. If a tax relief agency is soliciting your business, it is one indication that it might be a tax relief scam.
- Pressures You to Quickly Accept Their Services – Tax relief agencies that seek to scam people tend to use high-pressure rush tactics in order to get you to use their services. By not giving you time to change your mind, giving you quick deadlines to accept their assistance, or warning you of the dire consequences that you could face without their help, these scam operations try to get your money upfront, even if they ultimately are unable to assist you with your tax debt problem.
Avoiding tax relief agencies with the above characteristics will greatly increase your chances of selecting a legitimate tax relief agency that can provide you the best assistance available for your particular situation. Taking the time to discover whether any of these red flags exist in different tax relief agencies before committing to a certain agency is essential to achieving the best outcome for your case.
Tax Relief Help & Related Topics
What Does a Tax Resolution Company Do?
Knowing and understanding what a tax resolution company does is crucial in making a decision to hire one. A tax resolution company offers many benefits that can greatly help taxpayers depending on their situation.
How to Find a Reliable Tax Relief Professional
What to look for in a tax relief company before deciding to have them help you. Important types of solicitations and offers to look out for.
Benefits of Using a Tax Professional
Benefits of using a tax professional when you have unpaid taxes. Complex IRS code often leave tax payers paying much more than they owed originally when they try to handle tax situations on their own.
When to Use a Tax Relief Lawyer
Tax lawyers are the highest level of tax professional. Typically a tax lawyer is great for helping with more advanced, technical, and legal related tax issues and problems.
Tax Problem Help
Do-it-yourself guides to finding a solution on to your tax problem on your own or connect with a tax professional to help.
Understand How Power of Attorney Works
When using a tax professional to help you with your tax problem you must authorize them to act on your behalf. Understand how power of attorney works and understand exactly when it is needed.
Using a Tax Attorney to Help with Back Taxes
Benefits of using a tax attorney. What types of issues a tax attorney is particularly good at handling.
Using a CPA to Help with Back Taxes
Benefits of using a CPA. What types of issues a CPA is particularly good at handling.
Using an Enrolled Agent to Help with Back Taxes
Benefits of using an Enrolled Agent. What types of issues an Enrolled agent is particularly good at handling.
Understand the situations when it is suggested you hire a tax resolution company and the situations that you are better off resolving the problem yourself