Prevent Back Taxes and Report Gambling Winnings

August 7th, 2009 by Filed under: Amending Tax Return, Filing Taxes

gambling-taxes-irs-150x150If you win money by gambling, playing the the lottery, raffles, betting on horses, and the like you must report that to the IRS. This also means you must pay taxes using the market value of car, boat, or some asset you won. If you don’t report it to the IRS, they could send you a bill for what they estimate you won. Typically winnings have to be significant or usually over $600 dollars for Casinos to report your income to the IRS although all taxpayers are required to report all winnings. One good thing is that most casinos will not allow the IRS to monitor individuals or their tables.

In reporting your winnings or withholding, you will need to follow a few steps:

1) A payer must provide you with form W-2G
2) You need to put your winnings on Form 1040, line 21.
3) If you are itemizing deductions you can use the Schedule A, Form 1040 to report losses only up to the amount you won
4) To be eligible to deduct loses you need to show a receipt, or documentation of some kind to show both winnings and losses

If you have made a mistake and forgot to report your winnings or losses you can correct this situation by fling an amended tax return. You may owe some additional taxes with interest and penalties but if you wait until the IRS finds you the penalties will likely be significantly more.



  • Alan

    My family had some W-2Gs last year and wasn’t sure on how to track winnings and losses, although we found an IRS publication that helped. From what we’ve read you should keep a diary of wins and losses. We found a free iPhone app called WinLoss Slot player’s diary that helps track your activity.

  • gail wood

    What respond did you get?? I’m curious. Everyone has a different version on how to file with Oklahoma. No body know the right answer. I’ve been searching everything to find out what is the right thing to do with out of state winnings.

  • I was told if you do not live in the state of Oklahoma then you do not owe for any money or w-2 ‘s that you have won. Is this true? I know several people that have never paid their taxes on winnings because they do not live in Oklahoma, including me. I just want to know if this is correct? Even H & R Block is telling people they do not owe anything to Oklahoma for winnings off of W-2’s.

Tax RSS Feed