Minnesota Tax Relief Guide to Resolving Unfiled & Unpaid Taxes

checkPossibly Settle Back Taxes for Less
Stop Wage Garnishment and Bank Account Levy
Remove IRS & Minnesota Tax Penalties
Stop Minnesota & IRS Tax Liens
Settle Payroll Taxes
File Delinquent State & IRS Returns
Connect with a team of Tax Attorneys & CPAs
check Help with Minnesota & IRS Audits
check Receive Free Consultation & Likely Outcomes

Receive Free no Obligation Competitive Quote
minnesota back taxes

The Minnesota Department of Revenue is in charge of managing the state’s revenue system and ensuring that all individuals, businesses, and entities comply with state tax laws. The collection of these taxes funds public services for the state.

Payment Agreements

If you are unable to pay your state tax debt in full, you can set up a payment agreement with the Minnesota Department of Revenue by either using the Department’s e-Services payment agreement system or by contacting the Department directly. You must pay a nonrefundable $50 fee in order to enter into a payment agreement, whose terms and conditions are based on your circumstances and your ability to repay your debt. All installment payments must be made by electronic funds transfer (EFT) unless you do not have a bank account and you are unable to establish a bank account. A formal payment agreement cannot last beyond five years.

You must complete Form C58P, Personal Financial Statement, in order to apply for a payment agreement, so that the Department can properly evaluate your ability to pay your debt. The Department also may file a lien in order to secure payment of your tax debt.

Compromise Minnesota Tax Debt

When you are unable to pay your state tax debt in full, the Commissioner of Revenue and the Attorney General’s Office may agree to compromise your tax debt when it is in the state’s best interest to do so. This means that you would pay a single payment toward your tax debt that is actually less than what you owe. In order to request a compromise, you must complete Form C58C, Compromise Application, which consists of a questionnaire and a financial statement, and include a $250 nonrefundable application fee, which is applied to your tax debt whether or not the Department accepts your proposed compromise. Your compromise proposal must detail when you are able to make the compromise payment, the amount of your payment, the sources of funds that you will use for the payment, and reasons why your compromise offer should be accepted. In considering your compromise request, the Department will consider the following factors:

  • Age of the debt and how long the Department has to legally collect it
  • Your assets and earning potential
  • Your age and health
  • The Department’s potential to collect the debt in full
  • The existence of any other liable party, such as a spouse
  • The breakdown of tax, penalty, and interest for the balance due
  • Any previous collections actions and your overall collection history
  • Amount that you have paid toward the debt to date
  • Whether the debt is dischargeable in bankruptcy, and past or current bankruptcies
  • Whether it is your first offer of compromise or a reconsideration of a previous offer
  • Whether you are current in filing all of your income tax returns
  • Whether any doubt exists as to whether you owe the tax debt

Taxpayer Rights Advocate

The Commissioner of Revenue established the Taxpayer Rights Advocate Office in order to help people who are having trouble resolving tax issues with the Department of Revenue. In most cases, employees of the Department of Revenue should be able to help you solve your problems. However, if you have exhausted all other administrative remedies, and still cannot resolve your tax problem, you can contact the Taxpayer Rights Advocate as follows:

Telephone: (651) 556-6013, 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m., Monday –  Friday
Mail: Taxpayer Rights Advocate Office, PO Box 7335, St. Paul, MN 55107-7335

You can also contact the Taxpayer Rights Advocate by email at [email protected].

Contacting the Minnesota Department of Revenue

For Individual Income Tax Questions:

In Person: 600 North Robert St., St. Paul, MN 55101, 8:00 a.m. –  4:30 p.m., Monday – Friday
By Mail: PO Box 64651, St. Paul, MN 55164-0651
By Phone: (651) 296-3781 or (800) 652-9094
By Phone (Automated): (651) 296-4444 or (800) 657-3676
By Phone (For Balance Due): (651) 556-3003 or (800) 657-3909
TTY: Call 711 for Minnesota Relay
Fax: (651) 556-5116

Getting Professional Help to Resolve Your Tax Problems

BackTaxesHelp.com is one of the premier tax resolution sites serving Minnesota, offering tax solutions for every individual’s unique financial situation. We created a strong and diverse team of tax professionals who will settle, file, reduce and resolve State and IRS taxes. All of our tax professionals will provide you with a free consultation to give you your options and likely outcomes. Sign up and receive your free consultation today!

Our Simple Process

Get A Free Tax Analysis and Quote Instantly By Calling or Using The Form


Understand How You Can Settle, Save, and Resolve Your IRS & State Taxes

No Obligation!

Decide If You Want To Resolve Your IRS Taxes Using Our Tax Experts

Save Time!








Need Minnesota and/or IRS Tax Help?

Fill out the form below or call us to receive a free consultation from a tax specialist. Connect with a tax attorney, CPA or enrolled agent for your unique tax situation.

image bottom
Tax Amount Owed:
Federal or State:
First Name:
Last Name:
Zip Code:
Primary Phone:
( )
Secondary Phone:
( )
Brief Description of Tax Problem:
image top

Privacy Sealspacer Security SealSatisfaction Guaranteed