Guide to Resolving Indiana Back Taxes & Other Tax Problems

checkPossibly Settle Back Taxes for Less
Stop Wage Garnishment and Bank Account Levy
Remove IRS & Indiana State Tax Penalties
Stop Indiana & IRS Tax Liens
Settle Payroll Taxes
File Delinquent IN & IRS Returns
Connect with a team of Tax Attorneys & CPAs
check Receive Free Consultation & Likely Outcomes

Receive Free no Obligation Competitive Quote
indiana state tax problems

Similar to the IRS, the Indiana Department of Revenue regulates taxation at the state level, including situations where a taxpayer owes unpaid or unfiled taxes. The Indiana DOR is committed to helping taxpayers find the best resolution possible for dealing with back tax debt.

Indiana residents who find themselves unable to pay their taxes shouldn’t hesitate to reach out to the Department of Revenue for help. Depending on your individual financial situation, you may be able to set up an installment payment plan, settle your tax debt for less or defer payment if you’re experiencing a financial hardship.

INTax Payment Arrangements

The Indiana Department of Revenue encourages taxpayers to pay their tax bill in full if possible but if you can’t, you may be able to set up a payment arrangement. If you owe between $100 and $500, you can make arrangements to pay your bill over a 12 month period. If you owe more than $500, you can extend the payment period for up to 24 months. You’ll need to be able to put at least 20% down to set up a payment plan and interest and penalties will continue to accrue until the debt is satisfied.

To set up a payment plan, visit the INTax Pay website and create a username and password to login. If you don’t have access to a computer, you can also set up a payment plan by calling the Department of Revenue at (317) 232-2165.

Indiana Offer in Compromise (OIC)

The Indiana Tax Advocacy Office works with taxpayers who need help with their tax bills, including those who are seeking an Offer in Compromise (OIC). An Offer in Compromise is an agreement which allows you to settle your tax liability for less than what’s owed. Any offer you make must represent a reasonable amount based on how much you owe and your earning potential.

To make an Offer in Compromise, you’ll need to fill out Form FS-OIC and submit it to the Office of the Taxpayer Advocate using the address listed below:

Indiana Department of Revenue
100 N. Senate Avenue, Room 202, MS 106
Indianapolis, IN 46204-2273 

Submitting an offer doesn’t guarantee that it will be accepted and interest and penalties will continue to accrue while your application is being evaluated. If your offer is accepted, you’ll have to put 20% down if you’re planning to make payments rather than a lump-sum.

Claim for Hardship

In cases where there’s a severe financial hardship preventing you from paying your tax debt, you can request a claim for hardship to defer payment or establish an extended payment plan based on your needs. To qualify for a hardship claim, there are two criteria that must be met.

  1. You must be experiencing a terminal or critical illness within your immediate family or facing a threat to your financial livelihood which has rendered you unable to pay.
  2. You must be able to prove that a state filed tax warrant or lien is creating an additional hardship for you, your spouse or your dependents. If there’s a lien on your vehicle or a protest filed on an employment license, you must be able to prove that these actions are hindering your ability to earn income to pay the tax.

To apply for a hardship claim, you need to fill out Form FS-H and submit it to the Tax Advocacy Office at PO Box 6155, Indianapolis IN 46206-6155.

Contact the Indiana Department of Revenue

The Indiana Department of Revenue wants to ensure that taxpayers are able to get access to the information and forms they need regarding back tax issues. If you need additional help or have questions, you can contact the DOR at the following numbers:

  • Tax Advocacy Office – (317) 232-4692
  • Taxpayer Services Division – (317) 232-2240
  • Collection Division – (317) 232-2165

General inquiries can also be directed to:

Indiana Department of Revenue
Re: Individual Income Tax
P.O. Box 40
Indianapolis, IN 46206-0040

Getting Professional Help to Resolve Your Tax Problems offers premier tax resolution services to Indiana taxpayers and we provide customized solutions for every financial situation. Our highly-qualified team of tax professionals is committed to helping your resolve your back tax debt situation as expediently as possible. We can help with both state and IRS taxes and we work with you to explore every possible alternative. If you need help with Indiana back taxes, contact us today to begin your free initial consultation by filling out the form to your right.

Our Simple Process

Get A Free Tax Analysis and Quote Instantly By Calling or Using The Form


Understand How You Can Settle, Save, and Resolve Your IRS & State Taxes

No Obligation!

Decide If You Want To Resolve Your IRS Taxes Using Our Tax Experts

Save Time!








Need Indiana and/or IRS Tax Help?

Fill out the form below or call us to receive a free consultation from a tax specialist. Connect with a tax attorney, CPA or enrolled agent for your unique tax situation.

image bottom
Tax Amount Owed:
Federal or State:
First Name:
Last Name:
Zip Code:
Primary Phone:
( )
Secondary Phone:
( )
Brief Description of Tax Problem:
image top

Privacy Sealspacer Security SealSatisfaction Guaranteed